Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Heart Of Darkness/Research Paper

For the Heart of Darkness I am planning on doing a compare and contrast piece.  I want to take evidence of the book being racist and evidence of it not being racist and answer the question "Is Heart of Darkness racist?" A very simple question but, yet, we do not know the answer to it.  There are many instances where Marlow speaks of the blacks as being animals and gives them animal like traits.  Along with Marlow being showed as being a racist the narrator at the begging of the book also talks about the blacks as being of a "different complexion".  Is this a reflection of Conrad's beliefs or he he merely painting a picture for us?  There are also many instances where Marlow goes into detail describing the blacks as if they were on the same level as him.  So this simple question begs to be answered yet, I don't think any of us will ever know the answer.

For my research paper I have two topics that I am thinking about doing.  I either want to interview my grandpa and have him talk about his experience with cancer or talk to my mom about her experience with kidney stones and hives.  Both these aspects have to with how illness affects the family and that is the main question I am looking to answer.  I want to talk about how illness disrupts the family dynamic and pushes challenges on not only the ill person but, the entire family.  Family dynamics are altered in order to care for the ill and this may burden the rest of the family along with the normal structure that once was in place.  Transitioning is another aspect of the family dynamic that is hard on each family member, especially the younger ones and both my grandpa and mother got sick when I was younger.  I know from personal experience I didn't really know what was happening because of my innocence and lack of knowledge on the subject.  So those are just two ideas I have for my research paper but, they both tie in with family dynamics.

1 comment:

  1. I like that you did your Heart of Darkness paper on comparing and contrasting different pieces of evidence from the story in order to show some as being racist and some as showing the Africans as being equal. It is a simple question but you could find many different examples from the text that would show the book as being racist and it also not being racist at the same time. I'm sure it turned out to be very good! I also like your idea for your research paper! I was also going to do something on cancer and I was going to talk about how it affects not only the patient but it also affects the whole family. I think both ideas would be good, but I think that you would have an easier time writing your paper on cancer since it's such a typical occurrence in the world of today. Using the cancer idea would be a great way in order to write a detailed analysis about the ways in which it affects the family dynamics! I don't know what else to say about it since I'm thinking about doing something very similar so it looks like a good idea to me :)

    ReplyDelete