Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Research Paper RD Proposal

For my research paper I plan on doing an informative piece on OCD, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.  I am interested in this topic solely because I have a family member who suffers from it.  My cousin who is now 19 years old lives in Manchester England and has had OCD since before I can remember.  He has had many types of treatment including medications and therapy.  In my paper I want to talk about the different treatment options and how they may differ in Europe.  When I interview him I plan on asking things about his symptoms and how they arose, as well as his feelings on them and if he tried to resist at all.  His disorder definitely affected the family dynamics during his younger years.  Me and him would always hang out when we were little and I remember getting into countless fights and he would always push me around.  I would like to talk about how this affects many families and what they do to cope.  I picked this topic because I want to dig deeper into the disorder and understand more of what my cousin goes through.       

2 comments:

  1. I'm really really really curious as to how ease of treatment for mental disease is different between here and across the pond -- i'm also curious as to the social stigma of mental illness. You could build a great compare/contrast narrative from this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you are looking at more than OCD, Narrative pieces with statistics and research make the essay seem more real and interesting to read. You chose something that you care about and hopefully the research will come easier. Your interview with you cousin sounds like a great idea great primary source. Are you going to interview anyone else? maybe a doctor or psychologist form the U.S. to get more insight on treatments here? I know in AP Psych we went over many theories and treatment plans, are you leaning a particular way?

    ReplyDelete